directory-dev mailing list archives

From "rahul.soa" <rahul....@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: want to contribute in the project
Date Thu, 05 Mar 2009 23:41:46 GMT
Hello Alex,

Many thanks for encouraging me so much.

In fact, I myself want to be a part of the ApacheDS family and I want to
work with the community as a member not just for short time and now with
yours and with the community support I decided to work on PROXY idea for my
gsoc project (if mentors permit) as I see there is lot to do. I believe i
will stick with project even after the completion of the gsoc project.

I will also ask many silly questions being a newcomer :-)

Thanks again for the support.

Best Regards,
Rahul

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 5:24 PM, Alex Karasulu <akarasulu@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> your big picture.
>
> Regards,
> Alex
>

> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 5:41 PM, rahul.soa <rahul.soa@googlemail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hello Alex/Emmanuel,
>>
>> Thanks for your suggestions.
>>
>> With all this discussion and information provided by you and some of the
>> pointers searched on internet, I am interested in the proxy project and I
>> think with the smart load balancer (more interested in this), failover
>> mechanism, security features can make LDAP Proxy more robust.  btw, is
>> developing a load blaancer a separate project idea for proxy project ?
>>
>> Since I am new to ApacheDS project so at this moment its bit difficult for
>> me to evaluate about the volume of work involved in this LDAP proxy project
>> for gsoc (not sure how much work will be involved for about 3-month). In
>> other words, what is the scope of the project (I think it needs to be
>> defined based on the existing functionality for Proxy)?
>>
>> Could you also let me know about the tools and technologies will be used
>> like Java (i am sure about it!), Windows/Linux? or others?
>>
>> Thanks again.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Rahul
>>

>> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 3:44 PM, Alex Karasulu <akarasulu@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Coming in late here but some other items that would be interesting would
>>> be:
>>>
>>>   o New LDAP Client API based on entry API
>>>       - new client implementation to replace using JNDI
>>>   o ApacheDS command console using new mina SSH server
>>>       - you ssh into ApacheDS to issue commands for managing it
>>>   o Finish off object/class mapping for LDAP
>>>       - Kiran has done some work here and this will be very useful down
>>> the line
>>>
>>> BTW the proxy idea is great in as much has been discussed but I see some
>>> other opportunities with an LDAP proxy. Namely as a LDAP smart load balancer
>>> or switch.  Not many load balancers out there consider application layer (7)
>>> specifics, even less specifically are aware of LDAP issues when it comes to
>>> load balancing.  The proxy can help with that and can be a stand alone
>>> service.
>>>
>>> You can do so much here:
>>>
>>>   o distribute client connections based on a namingContext across
>>> replicas serving that context
>>>   o distribute search requests based last similar request to take
>>> advantage of already populated cache - for example if I search for (uid=ra*)
>>> on replica A with client 1, then it makes sense to route the same search
>>> from client 2 to replica A if the same request is issued within some time
>>> threshold.  This way the cache in replica A containing for the index on uid
>>> can be used to perform the search faster etc.
>>>
>>> I have a few of these ideas for an LDAP load balancer after some of my
>>> recent experiences working with production situations.  Might be a fun
>>> project that would produce something very useful in production.

LDAP