directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: want to contribute in the project
Date Thu, 05 Mar 2009 16:24:08 GMT
Well let me say that I for one am looking for candidates that will stick
around as part of the community well after GSOC is over. Although there are
no such requirements, I'm personally not interested in people coming,
writing code, then leaving the project.  I know life can do that and there
needs to be flexibility but we're hoping you'll be around as part of our
family here.

With that said yes the load balancing proxy idea is involved and will take
much more than 3 months to perfect. However it is challenging and fun to do
- much better than a boring easy project. Also the beauty of this is that I
assure you several people and companies will want to use this for not just
ApacheDS but other LDAP servers which are proxied.  The user base will be
there to help you work out the kinks - and that's pretty sweet to get
feedback from those using it in the feild.

So I would not be concerned about time frames and other things. Pick
something you're going to like doing and attack it. Rip open your shirt and
show us the 'S' underneath that people with passion have. Be brave, and
willing to fail even. You learn more from failures and challenging
situations than you do successes.

WRT the components that will be involved. Take a look around and tell us
what you think will be needed/involved.  This will help you understand the
big picture.  When you see the big picture yourself instead of someone
telling you what it should look like, it has much more meaning to you.  It's
your big picture.

Regards,
Alex