directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: want to contribute in the project
Date Wed, 04 Mar 2009 14:44:12 GMT
Coming in late here but some other items that would be interesting would be:

  o New LDAP Client API based on entry API
      - new client implementation to replace using JNDI
  o ApacheDS command console using new mina SSH server
      - you ssh into ApacheDS to issue commands for managing it
  o Finish off object/class mapping for LDAP
      - Kiran has done some work here and this will be very useful down the
line

BTW the proxy idea is great in as much has been discussed but I see some
other opportunities with an LDAP proxy. Namely as a LDAP smart load balancer
or switch.  Not many load balancers out there consider application layer (7)
specifics, even less specifically are aware of LDAP issues when it comes to
load balancing.  The proxy can help with that and can be a stand alone
service.

You can do so much here:

  o distribute client connections based on a namingContext across replicas
serving that context
  o distribute search requests based last similar request to take advantage
of already populated cache - for example if I search for (uid=ra*) on
replica A with client 1, then it makes sense to route the same search from
client 2 to replica A if the same request is issued within some time
threshold.  This way the cache in replica A containing for the index on uid
can be used to perform the search faster etc.

I have a few of these ideas for an LDAP load balancer after some of my
recent experiences working with production situations.  Might be a fun
project that would produce something very useful in production.

Thanks,
Alex