directory-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: ApacheDS ConfigNG
Date Wed, 18 Mar 2009 18:55:04 GMT
A couple comments...

1. in your list below there are at least 2 kinds of "type" info for
the parameters: known types (int) and objects where the main choice is
which class you use to implement an interface (Interceptor). I think
these are sort of qualitatively different but that is not clear from
your notation.  As a sub-comment I don't know how you'd specify the
implementation class for a component in DIT but this is probably my
own ignorance.

2. Despite the unpleasantness of getting poked by all the pointy
brackets in xml it does make it pretty easy to express the tree
structure of wired together components in an easy to understand way.
It's much less good at showing non-tree graphs (you have to use some
kind of reference).  I think this is pretty useful information that
AFAIK would be completely obscured in a DIT configuration model.  On
the other hand this wiring info is mostly useful for advanced users
that need to assemble a custom server; people using a more or less
plain server probably only need to change a few "primitive" parameters.

thanks
david jencks