directory-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Toward 2.0...
Date Wed, 18 Mar 2009 00:00:35 GMT

On Mar 17, 2009, at 4:07 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

>>> - Documentation : This is also an something we must deliver.
>>> Documentation is not only good for our users, it's also good for
>>> us, as developpers, because writtng documentation helps to see
>>> where the API is not consistent.
>>
>> Main problem is the configuration, which has changed with each
>> minor version. In order to make any progress here, we need to
>> finalize the configuration for the 2.0 first. There must be a
>> decision at some point about the technologies used etc. (XML,
>> xbeans, stored in DIT, ...). We had discussions about this topic
>> every month.
>
> Ok. Today, I spent something like 5 hours trying to get some new
> classes injected into LdapService, and make them work nicely with
> xbeans. So far, it's a plain failure.

And your requests for help and complaints about specific problems are
where?

It was a long time ago but 5 hours was the same order of magnitude to
the time it took me to convert everything to using xbean-spring (and
this was my first use of it).  So I wonder if your problems are due to
some small factor that I considered too obvious at the time to
document.  From the point of view of just having written something I
often think its really obvious how it works, and then a week later
spend a lot of time puzzling out what I did :-)

> I will be very clear : if we are to continue with xbeans+spring, I
> will -1 the release. This is absolutely not mature, cryptic,
> unusable, undocumented. In other words, it recalls me Maven 1.
>
> Unless xbeans reach another level of stability, I want it out of the
> configuration. I'm fed of this piece of garbage.

Not sure what you mean by stability.  Xbean-spring hasn't been updated
in a long time, what it does it seems to do just fine.  Undocumented I
can't argue with, but activemq seems to be pretty happy with its
current implementation.

I'll happily agree xbean-spring is pretty terrible, but its better
than anything else I've seen anyone use.  One thing I would eventually
like to investigate that I think could be a big improvement is a
domain specific assembly language written in scala.  However IIUC a
configuration/program in this DSL would need to be compiled.  Some
people like groovy builders but AFAICT they have no syntax checking
until you try to run them.

> I think this is something we have to discuss at ApacheCon, but the
> decision should be done on the ML.

sure
thanks
david jencks