directory-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Alderson <Martin.Alder...@salfordsoftware.co.uk>
Subject RE: Initial Draft for gsoc proxy plugin project
Date Thu, 26 Mar 2009 12:00:22 GMT
Hi Rahul,

I know that personally I would like to see a standalone service (non-gui) to start with that
would act as an intermediate LDAP server, passing all requests on to a target LDAP server.
 This could be configured to do various tasks like dump the requests and responses to an LDIF
file, load balance.. etc.  I don't know if the proxy you describe would work at that level.

Thinking about it further perhaps this would just involve writing a new pass-through partition
(backend) for ApacheDS (I think this has been talked about in the past).  This partition would
send a request on to another target LDAP server instead of using it against a local database.

Once we have that a Studio plug-in could be written to show the output of the journal or changelog
interceptors that I think Emmanuel's been working on.  In addition or instead of that we could
write an extra "debug" ApacheDS interceptor to allow Studio to intercept a request and decide
what to do with it in real time (i.e. cancel or continue with an optional modification).

This seems to me to be a more flexible and useful direction to take rather than just writing
another standalone tool.  I think it also helps to have the project broken into mostly independent
chunks like this.

How does that sound?

Martin