directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Client API] Bind Operation
Date Mon, 30 Mar 2009 22:55:41 GMT
Stefan Zoerner wrote:
> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>
>> some first thought about the bind operation. I propose 4 methods :
>>
>> - bind() for an anonymous bind
>> - bind(String name) for an unauthenticated bind (this is a special
>> case described in RFC 4513, par 5.1.2)
>> - bind(String name, String credentials)
>> - bind(String name, byte[] credentials) Those two methods are
>> standard bind with a credential as a String or byte[]
>>
>> We may define a few others, assuming we may want to use some
>> controls. We also have to deal with SASL bind.
>
> Looks good to me. What about the return value (is it void in all four
> cases?) and the case that authentication fails. Throws it an
> exception, and if so, is it derived from RuntimeException (I hope so)?
First, let's talk about the return value. We have two cases :
1) authentication succeeded. We will get a BindResponse
2) authentication failed. We will also have a BindResponse, but in this
case, you would like to get the cause, so it's not obvious to want an
exception.

So my best guest would be that it's better not to throw an exception.

One more thing : we might want to get a non-blocking mode, where the
BindResponse is not returned but a listener is invoked. We discussed
that option with Alex, and right now, we think it's better to have a
blocking mode for simple operations, and a non-blocking mode for search.

Does it make sense ?

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com