directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Client API] Ldap connection object
Date Sun, 29 Mar 2009 14:46:08 GMT
Let's start with the LDAP connection.

Having it as a simple object is natural. It will be named LDAPConnection
(the same name as the jLDAP API, so that people using it won't be lost).

This object will carry all the operations : abandon, add, bind, compare,
delete, modify, modifydn search and unbind. We should also be able to
manage extended requests.

Before sening any LDAP request, the user will have to connect (ie,
create a new socket).

A question would be : do we have to rename some operation like modifyDN
to simplest methods like rename, move, moveAndRename ? I'm leaning
toward this direction, just because the semantic is easier to handle.

What should we manage in the connection otherwise ? Obviously, SSL and
StartTLS. SSL could be set using a parameter in the parameter, like
LDAPConnection.useSSL( true ); Configuration is also important. We will
need to expose many other parameters (limits, timeout, Controls)

I will try to whip a quick class and post it so that we can discuss it
and validate it.

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com