directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Zoerner <ste...@labeo.de>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] Ldif partition
Date Sun, 29 Mar 2009 09:35:44 GMT
Hi Alex!

I was unable to say goodbye in Amsterdam on Friday, my flight was due.

Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Stephan pointed out the fact that we have both standalone configuration
> driven by some kind of configuration file and manual programatic wiring
> of the server in embedded scenarios which often will not have the ldif
> configuration file.  In the case with manual configuration some kind of
> ldif representation would need to be generated to reflect the wiring.  I
> have no idea how this can be achived gracefully.  I was putthing this
> out there to solicit others for some advice on this matter.

My first idea was: Why is it necessary to have such a representation. If
the server has been started in embedded mode, and the wiring has been
done programmatically, why not simply skip publishing the configuration
as a partition visible via LDAP ops? It will not be possible to change
it anyway. At least the changes will have effect only at runtime. After
restarting the server (== the program which instantiates ApacheDS) the
configuration will be the old one (the LDAP modify ops will not change
the source code of the host).

But perhaps it would be nice to publish the configuration without the
option to change it via LDAP, in order to have the server look the same
from the outside.  As you have pointed out in your answer, it would be
possible to detect the configuration with the help of reflection. A
special partition implementation could figure this out, show the
configuration if a client asks (e.g. search ops),  and refuse changes
with the help of e.g. return code 53 (UNWILLING_TO_PERFORM).

Greetings from Hamburg,
     Stefan