directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ApacheDS ConfigNG
Date Wed, 18 Mar 2009 19:39:35 GMT
Ersin ER wrote:
> One of the things we should consider for a configuration mechanism is that
> whether this configuration format is for humans or is for tools. If it's for
> humans neither XML nor LDIF are good candidates. If it's for tools, both are
> fine and then there can be other criteria to select one or also both can be
> supported. I don't think one if superior to other in terms of
> expressiveness.

I think that it does not matter too much. Or, more generally, a
configuration mechanism should be versatile. From a human being, a GUI
is obviously the best. But that mean we need a tool to read the
configuration and to present it. Some prefer a text file (either because
it's lightweight, or because you don't have a graphic terminal available
), and then it should be straightforward. Of course, comments must be
present.

So what we need is a Configuration bean, loaded from a configuration
file, whatever the format of this file is.

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org