directory-dev mailing list archives

From Howard Chu <...@symas.com>
Subject Re: Toward 2.0...
Date Wed, 18 Mar 2009 01:20:36 GMT
David Boreham wrote:
> Graham Leggett wrote:
>> That said, both Fedora and OpenLDAP use the DIT for config, so that
>> may be an XML free option :)
> FDS doesn't exactly use the DIT. We had the same argument that you're
> having, in 1997 or so, and
> decided to write an 'ldif back end' for the server, specifically for
> config (there had been an earlier
> flat-file back end that provided some inspiration and possibly some
> code).

Heh. Sounds like the same discussion we had in 2000, it took us a while to get
out of the weeds of LDAPv3 before we could see it. ;)

> This replaced the original
> UMich text config file (which I believe OpenLDAP still used until
> recently). So while the config
> manifests as LDAP entries, and can be read/written over-the-wire, it is
> stored in a text file as LDIF.
> If it were in the primary database, you'd have a chicken/egg problem.

Right. We wound up with an LDIF backend as well; it can still be configured as
a primary database (but that would be stupid) but its main point is that it is
so simple to configure (just needs a directory path to store its files) that
its bootstrap can be hardcoded, thus giving us the initial egg.

I also experimented with using back-ldap as the cn=config backing store; i.e.,
running a server with a configuration proxied from (and thus identical to) a
separate server. But it's more reliable to just replicate the master's config
to a local LDIF copy. There's no reason we couldn't provide hardcoded
parameters for any other backend type as well, but back-ldif has the virtue of
being human-readable/editable in case Something Went Wrong...

--
   -- Howard Chu