directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Toward 2.0...
Date Wed, 18 Mar 2009 00:45:08 GMT
Graham Leggett wrote:
> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>
>> That's the main issue... Xbeans is trying to alleviate the pain it is
>> to manipulate class names in a Spring file. As I already said, it
>> creates a decoupling which is painfull, as you have no clue about
>> what is what in the Spring file when you have decoupled those two
>> parts. We have more than 2500 classes in Directory (not counting
>> Studio), and even after 5 years working on the project, I can't
>> easily remember where all of them are located.
>
> The name of the principle you are currntly violating by using Spring
> is called the "Don't repeat yourself" principle:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don%27t_repeat_yourself
>
> By storing class names in two places (the Java class file, and the
> Spring bean definition XML file) you are adding 2500 different
> opportunities for the classes and spring configs to go out of sync.
>
> And there is nothing in the class to suggest that a spring bean is
> somehow relevant, making refactoring impossible, and that kills code.

=> why using Spring  ? :)

>> To be frank, and we discussed that ad nauseam with Alex, using Spring
>> was one of the biggest mistakes we made. We don't need Inversion of
>> control/Depenency Injection/whatever Fowler call it. This is useless
>> in our case. What we need is a configuration which can be loaded at
>> startup, and that's it. what we had before (a property file) was just
>> plain ok. OpenLDAP is now storing the configuration in the DIT, and
>> it works perfectly well.
>>
>> And if we don't want to go back to a property file, or config in the
>> DIT, then JSON can be an intersting option. Everything but this
>> infamous brackets all over the configration !!! Die, XML, die !
>
> When I use XML as a config, I define that config as an XSD, throw the
> XSD through xmlbeans to write all the parsing code for me, and then I
> make sure the config file is properly validated on load.
The only little problem with this approach is that writing a XSD is an
order of magnitude more painful than dealing with all the Spring crap.

=> Why using XML when not absolutely necessary ? ;)

Die, XML, die ! (well, I may die before XML ... :/ )

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org