directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Toward 2.0...
Date Tue, 17 Mar 2009 23:07:54 GMT

>> - Documentation : This is also an something we must deliver.
>> Documentation is not only good for our users, it's also good for us,
>> as developpers, because writtng documentation helps to see where the
>> API is not consistent.
>
> Main problem is the configuration, which has changed with each minor
> version. In order to make any progress here, we need to finalize the
> configuration for the 2.0 first. There must be a decision at some
> point about the technologies used etc. (XML, xbeans, stored in DIT,
> ...). We had discussions about this topic every month.

Ok. Today, I spent something like 5 hours trying to get some new classes
injected into LdapService, and make them work nicely with xbeans. So
far, it's a plain failure.

I will be very clear : if we are to continue with xbeans+spring, I will
-1 the release. This is absolutely not mature, cryptic, unusable,
undocumented. In other words, it recalls me Maven 1.

Unless xbeans reach another level of stability, I want it out of the
configuration. I'm fed of this piece of garbage.

I think this is something we have to discuss at ApacheCon, but the
decision should be done on the ML.

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com