directory-dev mailing list archives

From Howard Chu <...@symas.com>
Subject Re: Replication configuration : second thought
Date Mon, 16 Mar 2009 20:34:21 GMT
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> Based on the previous elements, let's define what can be the
> configuration, assuming we have one replication subsystem.
>
> consumer :
> - replicaId, an int between [0,999] : identify uniquely this consumer

Before you get too far, I should point out that replicaID is only significant
within a single server. It's just a means of labeling each individual consumer
config within one server. There is no requirement for uniqueness across
multiple servers.

For OpenLDAP's MMR, we had to introduce the serverID parameter which *is*
required to be unique across all masters. This goes into the sid field of the
CSN, so it's a hex value [0-fff]. And also note that 0 is only valid for
single-master replication, for MMR the sid must be non-zero.

> - for each replication peer :
>    o type, the replication type (RefreshAndPersist or ResfreshOnly).
> Default to RefreshAndPersist.
>    o interval, if type is ResfreshOnly : a hh/mm/ss interval between each
> content polling
>    o search base, the base DN to start the search on the producer
>    o principal, the principal to use in order to connect on the producer
>    o credential, the password to use to connect on the producer

I don't know if your network layer already handles it, so you haven't
mentioned it here, but parameters for timeout / detecting a failed network
connection and scheduling retries are also necessary.

> producer :
> currently, I see no specific information to set, but it's really a
> preliminary proposal

One of the points to RFC4533 is that no producer-side configuration is
required, although some optimization is possible.

> Regarding the principal/credential information, as the passwords are
> stored crypted using a one-way algorithm, we have to store it in clear.
> This is not very safe. We can think about a better algorithm, like
> encrypting the password using a 2 ways algorithm, but that means we have
> to store a key on the server, which is a breach too. There is no free
> lunch ...

Also provide the option of using SASL mechanisms. All of my production
syncrepl configs use TLS and certificate-based authentication. You still get
stuck needing the plaintext private key, but at least it's not a text string
that can be easily spotted and memorized in passing.

--
   -- Howard Chu