directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Replication configuration : second thought
Date Mon, 16 Mar 2009 19:42:02 GMT

>> We should consider three cases :
>> - no replication at all, nor as a consumer neither as a producer. This is
>> what you describe.
>>

> Yes this is what the core DirectoryService should be.  If replication is
> needed then LdapService needs to be used.

Ok, let's start from here then. Assuming that the core is free of
network is a good base.

>> - embedded server with a consumer
>> - embedded server which is also a producer
>>

> By embedded you don't mean just the core? Let's be exacting with this term.

I mean, the core. Not the network part.
> The following embedded configurations of ApacheDS are possible:
>
>    (1) Only the core without any network services enabled.
>
>    (2) The core and the LDAP server together with potentially other network
> services enabled.

Right. This is from this starting point I'm trying to figure out the
best possible place to put the replication layer.

> Now in the 1st configuration I don't see replication as available.  It
> should not be available.  Trustin broke this order by developing mitosis in
> a vacuum.  I intend to correct this mistake.

I agree.
> Now that we're using syncrepl which sits on top of the LDAP line protocol,
> it makes sense to have it enabled with the frontend in the 2nd configuration
> I wrote above.

Ok. There is one little things remaining then (see later).

>> In case 3, then better start the LdapService, as it has everything
>>
>> In case 2, i don't see why we should also get all the LDAP machinery when
>> just a client would be enough ?
>>

> Consumer or actual LDAP client don't understand.

Consumer. Sorry for the confusion.

>> Maybe we need an intermediate machinery, not in the core but not in the
>> service ?
>>

> These are bad choices IMHO. It's yet another new way things can be setup.  I
> think you should keep the LDAP protocol stack and replication together as
> part of the frontend since it is inherently part of the frontend.

Hmmm, you may be right.
> Just remember we cannot please everyone.  There will be people who want just
> the core but then find they will want replication too.  Those folks can just
> enable the frontend and get replication.  I don't see any other way.

The only thing we can do is to allow a use who want to embed the server
_and_ benefit from the replication as a consumer (not a producer). That
means we must allow users to disable the incoming LDAP part in the
LdapService. Should be easy.

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com