directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Replication configuration : second thought
Date Mon, 16 Mar 2009 19:10:10 GMT

>> what about having an embedded server with replication capability ?
>>

> Embedded does not mean the protocol is not exposed.  You can embed with the
> front end or without.  Without the frontend you will not get replication
> either since our replication sits on top of the LDAP protocol now.  So it
> makes more sense to do this in the frontend IMHO.

If the front end is LdapService, then  the problem is that you can't
start it without starting the network part of it... You can't have an
embedded server which is a replica of another server, but without all
the bells and whistle of a full server. Sometime we may need just the
outgoing part without the ingoing...

>> that's a good question... I would tend to think that injecting the
>> replication subsystem into the core server is probably a better way, as it
>> will be available not only to the standalone server, but also for an
>> embedded server (all in all, the networked server just embedded the core...)
>>

> I would respectfully disagree here.  Those who just want to embed the core
> without the LDAP protocol and socket servers do so because they do not want
> to expose anything.  We would still have to expose a network protocol even
> if not the entire LDAP protocol, to do replication.  It makes less sense to
> me to put the network machinery into the core.

We should consider three cases :
- no replication at all, nor as a consumer neither as a producer. This
is what you describe.
- embedded server with a consumer
- embedded server which is also a producer

In case 3, then better start the LdapService, as it has everything

In case 2, i don't see why we should also get all the LDAP machinery
when just a client would be enough ?

Maybe we need an intermediate machinery, not in the core but not in the
service ?

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com