directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Replication configuration : second thought
Date Mon, 16 Mar 2009 11:16:46 GMT
Hi guys,

after having thought about the configuration a bit more, I'm not sure
that it should be associated with a replication interceptor. I'm not
even sure that such an interceptor makes sense.

If we consider both side, a server can be either a client, a server, or
both. But we will consider each case as distinct.

If the server is a client (a replica, or a consumer), then  it connects
to a master server using a RefreshAndPersist control associated to a
search request. This connection can be managed in a specific
interceptor, but in any case, the searchResults will have to go through
the whole chain.  As it's also a persistent connection, it would be
better to deal with it at the DirectoryService level.

If the server is a master (a producer), then we will consider that a
client search request has been received, and persists. All the resulting
entries are filtered by the chain, and AFAICT, we don't need to add an
interceptor to filter the results. We just have to consider that the
clinet is a standard client.

So I would suggest to move the replication configuration at a higher
level (DirectoryService), and remove the ReplicationInterceptor.

This is not definitive, I'm waiting for any comment before moving on
this direction regarding to the interceptor removal (I'm not 100% sure
that we don't need some replication specific filtering, for instance).

wdyt ?

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com