directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Internationalization
Date Tue, 03 Mar 2009 23:35:38 GMT
Antoine Toulme wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 12:02 AM, Stefan Seelmann <seelmann@apache.org>wrote:
>

>> Hi Antoine,
>>
>> Antoine Toulme wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, my name is Antoine Toulme and I work for Intalio, Inc.
>>> We are interested into packaging Apache DS Studio, and we will need to
>>> internationalize it.
>>>
>>> I am a committer over the Eclipse Babel project, and more precisely on
>>> the Babel server, a PHP written UI for people to contribute translations.
>>>
>>> A PHP script runs every night and picks up the properties file from your
>>> repository. I see you did the work of pushing strings to properties
>>> already, so that part should be ok.
>>>
>>> At Eclipse, people log in with their bugzilla id, and contribute
>>> translations directly in various languages to the projects present.
>>> We build language packs with a set of zip files and an update site.
>>>
>>> Would you be interested into having a Babel instance at Apache for the
>>> same purpose ? That way we would contribute translations to your project
>>> by sending people to your Babel instance.
>>>
>> That sounds very interesting! Thanks for your suggestion.
>>
>> I have some questions, maybe you could answer and help me to understand.
>>
>> We alredy have translations for German (almost 100% finished) and French
>> (60% finished) in property files. Would it be possible to import them
>> into the Babel server?
>>

> Yes, there is a script to do that.

I lile the idea a lot, but there is a small problem : if we offer users
to submit translations, as those translations will be included into the
packaged product, and as anyone on the planet can submit such a
translation, we can't make them sign a CLA in due form...

That's OK for packaged version of Studio outside of Apache, but not for
us, as we mandate any of our contributor to give back the ownership of
what they committed to The ASF. Atm, that means all we can do is to
propose that the translation is to be attached into a JIRA.

Anyone has an idea on how we can fix this ?

Thanks !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com