directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <seelm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Internationalization
Date Tue, 03 Mar 2009 23:02:38 GMT
Hi Antoine,

Antoine Toulme wrote:
> Hi, my name is Antoine Toulme and I work for Intalio, Inc.
> We are interested into packaging Apache DS Studio, and we will need to
> internationalize it.
>
> I am a committer over the Eclipse Babel project, and more precisely on
> the Babel server, a PHP written UI for people to contribute translations.
>
> A PHP script runs every night and picks up the properties file from your
> repository. I see you did the work of pushing strings to properties
> already, so that part should be ok.
>
> At Eclipse, people log in with their bugzilla id, and contribute
> translations directly in various languages to the projects present.
> We build language packs with a set of zip files and an update site.
>
> Would you be interested into having a Babel instance at Apache for the
> same purpose ? That way we would contribute translations to your project
> by sending people to your Babel instance.

That sounds very interesting! Thanks for your suggestion.

I have some questions, maybe you could answer and help me to understand.

We alredy have translations for German (almost 100% finished) and French
(60% finished) in property files. Would it be possible to import them
into the Babel server?

Where are the translations and contributions stored? Are they pushed
back to the SVN repository? Or stored witin a database?

Can we continue to maintain the translated properties files or do we
need to use the Web GUI?

What kind of infrastructur do we need for the Babel server. I guess a
Apache with PHP won't be a problem. What else?

Maybe also other Apache projects with Eclipse plugins (IvyDE, Geronimo
to mention a few) would be interested.

Thanks,
Stefan