directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Journal first draft
Date Mon, 02 Mar 2009 19:20:43 GMT
Alex Karasulu wrote:
>> So wdyt about this first version ? What's missing ?
>>

> (1) Why not make these comment attribute actual attributes in the LDIF even
> though they are special?

I was considering this as an option, but the problem is that you need to
clone the entry in order to add those special attributes, ar add them
and remove them immediately, which is not really elegant.
> (2) Why is rev not a regular attribute?

Same reason. And we can't use the ChangeLog rev because it is not added
if the changeLog is not activated.

In any case, we don't need to store those elements in the partition
within the entry, because they are volatile (each time you restart the
server, the revision is set to a new value)
> (3) What exactly is the difference between ACK and NACK and why do we need a
> NACK?

We will have ACK for entries which have been stored in the partition.
NACK is for entries that we _know_ haven't been stored for any reason.
If the entry has not been stored yet, or not been rejected yet, then we
won't have any ACK or NACK.

It's interesting to have a NACK to distinguish between those two cases.

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org