Might be a good idea to add this operational attribute as a virtual attribute to an entry when it is going out the door ONLY.  We should do it like this because then we don't have to load up the entry from the backend when doing modDn operations.  At this point we're totally hosed on modDN because of the decision to include the DN in the entry.

Incidentally I will have to veto any release that does not fix this problem: it's high priority IMO. I warned about the performance issue it brings about. Howard Chu confirmed this and still it's the case. To see just load up a server with 1M user entries then try a modDN on ou=Users.  Do it on the server before this change and after it was introduced.  Seeing the difference will convince anyone.