On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 4:51 AM, Stefan Seelmann <seelmann@apache.org> wrote:
I'd choose java.util.UUID because it is included in each JDK, no extra
lib needed.

Yeah but this is unfortunately only available in JDK 6 and would lock us into that.  I personally don't mind because 1.5 is almost at it's end.

Maybe we shouldn't use one implementation directly but use a factory
method. This makes it easier to switch the choosen implementation.

Example:
 public String generateUUID(String input);
or
 public String generateUUID(byte[] input);

Yep this is what I was going to do but did not have time.  If JDK 6 is available it should default to the stuff provided.  Otherwise it can use some of the libraries out there to do this.

Alex