directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [APacheDS] do I need to write a way to clone a filter?
Date Thu, 19 Feb 2009 17:25:00 GMT
i,

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 5:54 PM, Hammond, Steve
<steve.hammond@polycom.com> wrote:
> I am getting a filter in on the wire.
>
> I want to use a visitor method and remove some pieces (a memberof)
>
> But I need to use the original filter also.
>

> I was hoping for a ExprNode.clone function so that I can have a copy of the
> filter that I can send the visitor to do the alterations to the copy,
> leaving the original filter pristine.

We don't have a clone() method for filters. Sigh :/

> I tried to hack it together with (FilterParser.parse(filter.toString())  but
> this fails when my memberOf groupDN has parenthesis in it.

Well, the parser might not be perfect :/ Worth a JIRA, IMO.

> Just thought I would ask before I got very far on adding a clone to the
> ExprNode Interface

There are three things we would like to add :
- a clone() method which works
- a decent equals method, comparing two filters and accept filters
which are not ordered the same way (ie, (|(a=*)(b=*)) should be equal
- a decent toString() method - I would call it asString() - returning
a String representation of the current filter, not a String decorating
the filter with some few infos, like the number of nodes, etc.

Well, we also need a volunteer to jump into the mud too :)

--
Regards,
Cordialement,