directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ChangeLog + revert, broken , take 2
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2009 14:39:18 GMT
Hi Emm,

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 7:23 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@apache.org>wrote:

> In order to implement the clear operation, we will have to inject a
> new field into each operationContext : the bypassed interceptors.

We should not need to do this. We expose access to the ChangeLog (interface)
from the DirectoryService itself. This allows us to manage the changelog out
of band (of ldap operations which go through the interceptor chain).  This
is how reverts work today for example.  We just call revert on ChangeLog
which we grab from the DirectoryService.

> As
> we don't want he changeLog to be executed when reverting operations,
> we have to bypass it.

Hmmm we want to lock out any changes which may be taking place while a
revert is in progress.  Implementing this is a lot more involved and
something we need to talk more about.

> We also may want to bypass some other
> interceptors , like the authz or authn (if we have successfully
> modified something, then we will successfully do the revert).
>
> Adding a Collection of bypassed interceptors into the operationContext
> will allow such a mechanism to work. It should not break the current
> code base, as the PartitionNexusProxy handle such bypasses.

The bypass mechanism was never created for handling these kinds of problems.
In fact the bypass mechanism is a very dangerous and ugly work around to
flaws in the interceptor chain design.

Alex