directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ChangeLog + revert, broken , take 2
Date Tue, 17 Feb 2009 23:12:03 GMT
On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 4:56 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@apache.org>wrote:

> Alex Karasulu wrote:
>
>> Funny I was writing revertAndClear() but decided to delete that from my
>> email. I did this because the clear(), clear(int) and revert() constructs
>> are RISC and sufficient in combination.  Up to you tho.
>>

> I will see. Not really a big deal to do one operation or two though.

The separate clear() and revert() operations decouples functionality.  The
revertAndClear() operations both couples functionality together.  You might
find situations where you just need to clear() or just to revert() and
sometimes to do both as is the case now.  When we break things down into
simpler functions that do one thing and only one thing well then it's easier
to recombine them to suite different situations.  This may also lead to
better interface design.

Alex