directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: UUID generator : which one ?
Date Sun, 15 Feb 2009 15:35:48 GMT
On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 4:51 AM, Stefan Seelmann <seelmann@apache.org>wrote:

> I'd choose java.util.UUID because it is included in each JDK, no extra
> lib needed.

Yeah but this is unfortunately only available in JDK 6 and would lock us
into that.  I personally don't mind because 1.5 is almost at it's end.

> Maybe we shouldn't use one implementation directly but use a factory
> method. This makes it easier to switch the choosen implementation.
>
> Example:
>  public String generateUUID(String input);
> or
>  public String generateUUID(byte[] input);

Yep this is what I was going to do but did not have time.  If JDK 6 is
available it should default to the stuff provided.  Otherwise it can use
some of the libraries out there to do this.

Alex