directory-dev mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <ayyagariki...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DRS] thoughts about implementation
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2009 19:19:24 GMT

Hi Alex,

> I'm seriously thinking the use of the CL for a journal is not a good
> decision. The journal needs to be fast and simple, doing only one thing
> and doing it fast and flawlessly.
+1, by 'replica of CL' I mean the journal contains the same data what CL stores in its store
minus the indices and
journal just writes that data in a sequential order (CL could be a B-Tree).
However an assumption I made here was that each valid operation succeeds at least before storing
its data in CL
( we have to write the same data to journal before storing in CL) this way we no longer need
any marking operation cause
if the master db gets corrupted we use CL to restore and if the CL also gets corrupted then
we can restore the CL from
journal(start from the beginning hence no intermediate 'marks') and then restore the master
db.

Kiran Ayyagari