directory-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Nelson <gro...@gmail.com>
Subject daemon-plugin
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2009 07:46:14 GMT
Hello,

I am working on a project that will require the user to download and install
a Java daemon onto their machine (Windows, OS X, Linux, ...), and I've been
looking for something that would help me create installers for each
environment.  I'm using commons-daemon.  I stumbled upon the daemon-plugin
in the Maven repository and have read what documentation I can find.  I've
gathered that it's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for.  I've tinkered
a little with it (version 1.1.5) and finally got it to generate a DMG for my
project.

It seems, though, that "Apache Server Directory" is hard coded in several
places, like the .pkg name, for instance.  Also the installation layout
seems to be fixed to what is needed for your project.  And probably several
other places.

I just have a couple of questions if you have a quick second to respond:

1.  Am I barking up the wrong tree?  Is this plugin not meant for use with
other projects?
2.  Is there some documentation I can read to wrap my head around it a
little better?

I'm willing to make the plugin more extensible to accommodate my project and
contribute back so others can benefit as well.  Any guidance would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Greg