I've thought about using these kinds of generalized frameworks to help piece together various aspects of the LDAP replication system. At various stages I thought that these toolkits may be as you thought heavy.  In most cases, I felt that they were hard to fashion into something LDAP specific.  I've always felt like you have to create the message transport layer and directly implement the group management since it was defined by the replication agreement.

Also I think there's something like this out there used by JINI: Javaspaces I think.  FYI JINI is now an Apache project called River I think so the code should be there.

Cheers,
Alex