On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 3:39 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
Stefan Zoerner wrote:
Hi Emmanuel!
Hi Stefan !

- Interface cleaning : we have to check all the common interfaces and clean them. It's not necessarily a costly task, but as we will freeze the API, we have to do that before 2.0-RC1

This one is really important if someone plans to extend the server. The task includes updating the javadoc of the interfaces as well.
Very true. I think we won't add a lot more features to the server, so the API cleaning could start as soon as we have a new base line (ie, when 1.5.5 will be closed).

So I think we need to release 1.5.5 soon, even if it means we have to postpone some issues. All in all, 1.5.5 is manly about integrating MINA 2.0.

- Documentation : This is also an something we must deliver. Documentation is not only good for our users, it's also good for us, as developpers, because writtng documentation helps to see where the API is not consistent.

Main problem is the configuration, which has changed with each minor version. In order to make any progress here, we need to finalize the configuration for the 2.0 first. There must be a decision at some point about the technologies used etc. (XML, xbeans, stored in DIT, ...). We had discussions about this topic every month.
Yeah, I can't agree more. I have spent a large part of the last 2 weeks working on the configuration and its documentation, and I must admit it's messy. It's time to stop changing it version after version. Frankly, the perfect configuration is a myth.

Here is what I suggest : let's keep Spring+xbeans from now on, just because changing that will be disruptive. It's not perfect, but at least, it works.

I also suggest that we freeze the configuration for 1.5.5.

+1 I don't think we can get off spring+xbean soon with a configuration in DIT implementation. However you cannot ask for a freeze on anything until we decide to go to 2.0 RC1.