directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DRS] Changelog improvements
Date Mon, 26 Jan 2009 16:19:39 GMT
On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 4:55 PM, Alex Karasulu <akarasulu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 3:54 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi guys,
>> - it stores forward and revert changes (we don't need revert usually)
>
> We do need information to be able to revert operations such as deletes with
> the appropriate add operation.  I don't recommend removing the reverse
> changes unless you're certain you can capture all the necessary information
> to fully revert an operation.

I was talking about separating the ChangeLog facility from the
Journal, where you don't need revert operations. But obviously, the
ChangeLog needs them.

It's interesting to separate those two functions to allow users to
keep what they really need, and remove what they don't need. What we
can do to improve the performance however is to get the forward LDIF
from the ChangeLog (we just have to put them in the context), if the
changelog interceptor is active.

>> Nothing complicated though. My idea is to use a simple file, being rotated
>> when we put some tag, plus some JDBM index around to be able to lookup for
>> DN, UUID or entryCSN.
>
> Why do that when you can build the entire thing using JDBM?

Just because I think it's easier to recover from a crashed LDIF file
than from a crashed JDBM file :)

--
Regards,
Cordialement,