directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Mitosis] Random thoughts (3)
Date Wed, 21 Jan 2009 03:08:26 GMT
On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 5:07 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com>wrote:

What about performances ? They are obviously terrible... If you think about
> a server A on which you have injected 1 million entries, trying to replicate
> with a server B on which a unique entry has been modified. We will have to :
> - revert the million entries on A
> - revert the modification on B
> - transmit the million entry from A to B
> - transmit the entry from B to A
> - order the million and 1 entry on both server
> - inject one million and one entry on A and B.
>
> Obviously, we will have to transmit the million entry to B and to apply
> them, but why should we revert and re-apply them on A? This is just a
> waste...
>
> How can we improve this ?

One idea might be to send batches of replication events instead of one event
at a time after the servers connect.

1) some entry are added on A and on B.
> If any of those entries are 'colliding' (ie the intersection is not empty),
> we have to manage some conflict. We have two different cases :
> - both entries are the same : that's just ok, we just keep the older one.

You should keep the newer one I think because the second add would have
failed and you want the timestamps and creator information to match the
first add.

Alex