directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject [Replication] Using time offsets instead of absolute time
Date Tue, 20 Jan 2009 02:57:06 GMT
Hi all,

The first thread on replication after Emmanuel's comments started taking a
turn towards the question of time synchronization across replicating
servers.  Time synchronization is very nice to have and forget about while
writing the code around replication.  And yes we do not have control over it
since administrators can fudge this up.

Another alternative would be to have all the servers in the cluster
communicate with one another on occasion to share their current time to
establish offsets.  These offsets (differences in time) between servers in
replication agreements can be used to correct for any time variance we might
encounter.  Furthermore if the time is adjusted on the hosts, the cluster
can adjust to time changes.

WDYT?

Alex