directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [LDAP] Mimic RDBMS auto-increment feature in LDAP
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2009 05:24:09 GMT
On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 11:20 AM, Stefan Seelmann <seelmann@apache.org>wrote:

> Hi Pierre-Arnaud,
>
> there is a Modify-Increment Extension, see
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4525. Not sure which LDAP servers implement
> it.

I think this RFC was intended to enable atomic read-modify operations to
increment attribute values rather than as a auto increment field.

One way to implement what PAM is talking about would be to use triggers but
we never really got that worked out.  The trigger would increment one or
more designated auto-id attributes of a STRUCTURAL objectClass whenever a
new instance was created in the DIT.

This feature could of course be implemented without using triggers. A new
schema extension can be created to toggle an attributeType of an objectClass
as auto-increment.  Don't know for certain if this should only be allowed
for STRUCTURAL objectClasses for certain but it feels like it would avoid
some issues.

Regards,
Alex