directory-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Alex Karasulu" <>
Subject Re: Toward 2.0...
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2009 01:35:14 GMT
On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 3:39 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <>wrote:

> Stefan Zoerner wrote:
>> Hi Emmanuel!
> Hi Stefan !
>>> - Interface cleaning : we have to check all the common interfaces and
>>> clean them. It's not necessarily a costly task, but as we will freeze the
>>> API, we have to do that before 2.0-RC1
>> This one is really important if someone plans to extend the server. The
>> task includes updating the javadoc of the interfaces as well.
> Very true. I think we won't add a lot more features to the server, so the
> API cleaning could start as soon as we have a new base line (ie, when 1.5.5
> will be closed).
> So I think we need to release 1.5.5 soon, even if it means we have to
> postpone some issues. All in all, 1.5.5 is manly about integrating MINA 2.0.
>>  - Documentation : This is also an something we must deliver.
>>> Documentation is not only good for our users, it's also good for us, as
>>> developpers, because writtng documentation helps to see where the API is not
>>> consistent.
>> Main problem is the configuration, which has changed with each minor
>> version. In order to make any progress here, we need to finalize the
>> configuration for the 2.0 first. There must be a decision at some point
>> about the technologies used etc. (XML, xbeans, stored in DIT, ...). We had
>> discussions about this topic every month.
> Yeah, I can't agree more. I have spent a large part of the last 2 weeks
> working on the configuration and its documentation, and I must admit it's
> messy. It's time to stop changing it version after version. Frankly, the
> perfect configuration is a myth.
> Here is what I suggest : let's keep Spring+xbeans from now on, just because
> changing that will be disruptive. It's not perfect, but at least, it works.
> I also suggest that we freeze the configuration for 1.5.5.
+1 I don't think we can get off spring+xbean soon with a configuration in
DIT implementation. However you cannot ask for a freeze on anything until we
decide to go to 2.0 RC1.


View raw message