directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DRS] Changelog improvements
Date Tue, 27 Jan 2009 22:45:24 GMT
Kiran Ayyagari wrote:

> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>> So we have :
>> - a transaction log, used for transaction and replication
>> - a change log used to revert operation on demand
>> - a journal used for the RDS only
>
> I believe we can club 1 & 3 and use for both DRS and replication
When I wrote the previous mail, I was thinking that the transaction log
was a bit more demanding than the journal.  Namely, we need to be able
to guarantee that every change stored into the TxLog  reflect the state
of the backend. The journal can simply store changes without taking care
of what happens on the backend.

the reason why there is a difference is that we may differ real writes
to the backend, when the journal is flushed immediately.

Now, we can couple both logs, as the difference is slight.

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org