directory-dev mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <ayyagariki...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DRS] Changelog improvements
Date Tue, 27 Jan 2009 19:50:34 GMT

Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> So we have :
> - a transaction log, used for transaction and replication
> - a change log used to revert operation on demand
> - a journal used for the RDS only

I believe we can club 1 & 3 and use for both DRS and replication

IIUC, a replication journal(a.k.a log/store) needs to hold all the data that
awaits acks from all the recipients( or that data is yet to be sent )

and in case of DRS it should keep the data from the last known checkpoint state
of the DIT store(jdbm files)

in either case there is a common data set which needs to be maintained in a journal.
( A DRS journal may hold less data than a replication journal but that data set will
always be there in replication journal)

We can change the purging strategy based on whether replication is enabled or not.

thoughts?

Kiran Ayyagari