directory-dev mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <ayyagariki...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DRS] Changelog improvements
Date Mon, 26 Jan 2009 07:40:35 GMT
hi Emmanuel,

Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> it's essential that we have a decent Changelog system in order to be
> able to build a reliable server, plus use it for replication eventually.
>
> The currengt changelog system has many advantages :
> - it basically works
> - it's damn fast
> - it can be extended easily
>
> But it also has some drawbacks :
> - it currently stores changes info in memory
> - it stores forward and revert changes (we don't need revert usually)
> - it stores changes in LdifEntry which uses Attributes instead of the
> new Entry API
>
> We need to extend the ChangeLog API to get able to handle :
> - on disk storage
> - Entry instead of Attrinutes

didn't understand this. Atm, the LdifEntry used in changelog holds a ClientEntry
and adds all the attributes to it. You mean to use a ServerEntry here?

> - only forward operations
> - fast lookup for an entry by its DN, or entryCSN/UUID attributes.
We need to allow duplicates in the DN index, there will be collisions.

How do we access CSN/UUID I think, this JournalInterceptor will be before the
ReplicationInterceptor then we don't have access to CSN. One way would be to
create these values in JournalInterceptor and pass on to ReplicationInterceptor
wdyt?

> We may also add a new interceptor for that purpose, namely a
> JournalInterceptor.
>
> Nothing complicated though. My idea is to use a simple file, being
> rotated when we put some tag, plus some JDBM index around to be able to
> lookup for DN, UUID or entryCSN.

have started experimenting with a simple RandomAccessFile based Journal
( but the work is quite slow cause of me being lazy ;) )

> wdyt ?

thanks for putting the thoughts in ink, have a better understanding now

--
Kiran Ayyagari