directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject [DRS] Changelog improvements
Date Sun, 25 Jan 2009 20:54:35 GMT
Hi guys,

it's essential that we have a decent Changelog system in order to be
able to build a reliable server, plus use it for replication eventually.

The currengt changelog system has many advantages :
- it basically works
- it's damn fast
- it can be extended easily

But it also has some drawbacks :
- it currently stores changes info in memory
- it stores forward and revert changes (we don't need revert usually)
- it stores changes in LdifEntry which uses Attributes instead of the
new Entry API

We need to extend the ChangeLog API to get able to handle :
- on disk storage
- Entry instead of Attrinutes
- only forward operations
- fast lookup for an entry by its DN, or entryCSN/UUID attributes.

We may also add a new interceptor for that purpose, namely a
JournalInterceptor.

Nothing complicated though. My idea is to use a simple file, being
rotated when we put some tag, plus some JDBM index around to be able to
lookup for DN, UUID or entryCSN.

wdyt ?

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny