directory-dev mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <ayyagariki...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Mitosis] ADS cluster management
Date Fri, 16 Jan 2009 19:53:53 GMT
hi Alex,

Alex Karasulu wrote:
> I've thought about using these kinds of generalized frameworks to help
> piece together various aspects of the LDAP replication system. At
> various stages I thought that these toolkits may be as you thought
> heavy.

yep they are in one way or the other w.r.t our requirement
> In most cases, I felt that they were hard to fashion into
> something LDAP specific.  I've always felt like you have to create the
> message transport layer and directly implement the group management
> since it was defined by the replication agreement.
I would say *yes* we may have to go for this, having spent much time with ActiveMQ
and River/Jini to see how we can fit either of these into the replication system here are
some observations

We can use ActiveMQ's 'Network of Brokers' feature to automatically discover the other ADS
peers
but its usage ends there rest of the crucial things related to replication we need to manage
as usual,
but on ActiveMQ channel. In this case IMHO we don't gain much by using ActiveMQ, in addition
to that
securing these ActiveMQ channel(s) is another issue.

In order to use River/Jini it seems to be too much of a burden to set up the system, for that
to run we need to setup
security permissions for the code base (and/or) we need to keep the code in a 'http server'
!!! and security manager
also.

> Also I think there's something like this out there used by JINI:
> Javaspaces I think.  FYI JINI is now an Apache project called River I
> think so the code should be there.
>
> Cheers,
> Alex

Kiran Ayyagari