directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Mitosis] Push or pul, plus some random thoughts
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2009 08:13:07 GMT
Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
> --On Thursday, January 15, 2009 1:28 AM +0100 Emmanuel Lecharny
> <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> The queue will be limited in size, obviously. I can even be empty, all
>> the modification being stored on disk.
>>
>> However, we don't necessarily have to keep a track of pending modify for
>> disconnect replicas, as it's easy to know which entries has not been
>> replicated since the last time the replica was on. The connecting
>> replica
>> could send the last entryCSN received, and then a search can be done on
>> the server for every CSN with a higher CSN. Then you don't need to keep
>> any modification on disk, as they are already stored in the DiT.
>
> Sounds a lot like syncrepl. ;)
yeah, this is what I realized :)

> That search doesn't sound like it handles deletes though, which is
> always a PITA.
it does. Any modification done somewhere which might impact the elements
you are supposed to get back from this persistent search will be send
back to the recipient. The way Mitosis works atm is to keep the deleted
entries in the DiT with a added attribute telling if the entry has been
deleted, so we keep them in the DiT ( but not available for standard
operations) until all the replicas has been updated. So a disconnected
replicas which reconnect will get the deleted entry info when it connect
back.

How to handle the real deletion is the problem, as we have to keep a
state of each replica...

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com