directory-dev mailing list archives

From Howard Chu <...@symas.com>
Subject Re: [LDAP] Mimic RDBMS auto-increment feature in LDAP
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2009 08:20:45 GMT
David Boreham wrote:
> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>> The thing is that Pierre-Arnaud is moving away from a RDBMS system ;)
>> But the applications are using Integers and Longs for IDs...
> Right, and I'd say either 1) Don't move from the RDBMS, or 2) Change the
> applications to not expect integers.
>
> Do not do 3) : attempt to make the DS behave like the RDBMS.

In this particular case, there's nothing special about auto-incrementing
values that makes them more suited to RDBMSs or a directory. Like so many data
management issues, the problems (and solutions) are the same, whether you wrap
in them in relational trappings or hierarchical.

The DNA plugin that was written for FedoraDS uses the same strategy that MySQL
uses for auto-incrementing numbers - allocate a span of numbers to a given
node, where every node's span is disjoint. There's no particular reason not to
keep going with this approach, if it's too hard to change the rest of the
software. There's nothing inherently "relational" about this feature.

--
   -- Howard Chu