directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [LDAP] Mimic RDBMS auto-increment feature in LDAP
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2009 07:11:11 GMT
David Boreham wrote:
> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>> The thing is that Pierre-Arnaud is moving away from a RDBMS system ;)
>> But the applications are using Integers and Longs for IDs...
> Right, and I'd say either 1) Don't move from the RDBMS, or 2) Change
> the applications to not expect integers.
>
> Do not do 3) : attempt to make the DS behave like the RDBMS.
I see your point... In any case, it would be way better to use a unique
RDN to identify an element in LDAP. Then no need to use auto-increment
counter, with all the burden it is to manage (even in a non replicated
environment), not to mention the fact that it's not standard...

Thanks David !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com