directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject CSN, ADS and OpenLDAP
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2009 21:55:22 GMT
Hi,

currently, for replication, we are using a CSN built from
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-sermersheim-ldap-csn-02 (more or less).
In fact, our CSN is a composition of a timestamp
(System.currentMillis()), an operation operationSequence and a
replicaId. It is constructed this way :

timestamp:replicaId:operationSequence (no padding)

It's not what OpenLDAP is using. OpenLDAP is based on
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ldup-model-09, and a CSN is
constructed this way :

" ...
 * The format of a CSN string is: yyyymmddhhmmssz#s#r#c
 * where s is a counter of operations within a timeslice, r is
 * the replica id (normally zero), and c is a counter of
 * modifications within this operation.  s, r, and c are
 * represented in hex and zero padded to lengths of 6, 3, and
 * 6, respectively. (In previous implementations r was only 2 digits.)
"

So far, both CSN are incompatible. We could write translators, but I
also think that it would be great to avoid having a different structure.

Does it makes sense to you ?

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com