directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Toward 2.0...
Date Sun, 04 Jan 2009 20:39:04 GMT
Stefan Zoerner wrote:
> Hi Emmanuel!
Hi Stefan !

>> - Interface cleaning : we have to check all the common interfaces and
>> clean them. It's not necessarily a costly task, but as we will freeze
>> the API, we have to do that before 2.0-RC1
>
> This one is really important if someone plans to extend the server.
> The task includes updating the javadoc of the interfaces as well.
Very true. I think we won't add a lot more features to the server, so
the API cleaning could start as soon as we have a new base line (ie,
when 1.5.5 will be closed).

So I think we need to release 1.5.5 soon, even if it means we have to
postpone some issues. All in all, 1.5.5 is manly about integrating MINA 2.0.

>> - Documentation : This is also an something we must deliver.
>> Documentation is not only good for our users, it's also good for us,
>> as developpers, because writtng documentation helps to see where the
>> API is not consistent.
>
> Main problem is the configuration, which has changed with each minor
> version. In order to make any progress here, we need to finalize the
> configuration for the 2.0 first. There must be a decision at some
> point about the technologies used etc. (XML, xbeans, stored in DIT,
> ...). We had discussions about this topic every month.
Yeah, I can't agree more. I have spent a large part of the last 2 weeks
working on the configuration and its documentation, and I must admit
it's messy. It's time to stop changing it version after version.
Frankly, the perfect configuration is a myth.

Here is what I suggest : let's keep Spring+xbeans from now on, just
because changing that will be disruptive. It's not perfect, but at
least, it works.

I also suggest that we freeze the configuration for 1.5.5.

>> - VSLDAP : We would like to pass the STANDARD test this year. That
>> should not be too complicated.
>
> In order to reduce workload, I would declare VSLDAP at STANDARD level
> as "Good to have". Only BASE level is "Mandatory" from my point of view.
+1.

Thanks Stefan !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny