directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Toward 2.0...
Date Fri, 02 Jan 2009 10:37:06 GMT
Hi guys,

as this is a new year, it's a good timing to define a realistic roadmap
for ADS 2.0. We did that last year back in august, trying to define a
set of small releases (from 1.5.1 to 1.5.9, targetting a 2.0-RC1), but
we now need to get more focused on what is essential. So here is a
proposal, for discussion !

I will gather all the items present in the previous roadmap into three
different lists :
1) Mandatory : what we absolutely need for a 2.0
2) Good to have : what we want to have in a 2.0 if we have time to do it
3) Not urgent : what we can push in a 2.5 release

So here is the list :

1) Mandatory
- Replication : we currently have something working (Mitosis), but we
have many aspects we want to check before releasing 2.0. So to speak :
defining something else than Derby as the pending operation storage,
integrate Quartz to manage scheduled operations, inject en entryUUID in
each entry. Plus we have to define some test scenarios.

- Disaster Recovery System (DSR) : this is absolutely a must have. If
the server crash for any reason, we must be able to recover the base. We
have the ChangeLog system written, which is a major part of the DSR, but
we still need to cover the other parts (how to recover, configuration).

- Interface cleaning : we have to check all the common interfaces and
clean them. It's not necessarily a costly task, but as we will freeze
the API, we have to do that before 2.0-RC1

- Documentation : This is also an something we must deliver.
Documentation is not only good for our users, it's also good for us, as
developpers, because writtng documentation helps to see where the API is
not consistent.

- VSLDAP : We would like to pass the STANDARD test this year. That
should not be too complicated.

- JIRA cleaning : we have many open issues, some of them are 3 years
old. We have to check all the issues (208 as of today !), and decide
which are dead (sometime, an issue is opened, and is not anymore valid a
few months after, not because we have fixed it, but because it's not
relevant anymore)

2) Good to have
- Jetty integration : we need it for two different things at least :
DSML gateway and an Http based UI for monitoring the server

- Trace/Logging interceptor : should not be too complex, as it will be
based on the changeLog interceptor (except that we also want to log
every search and bind requests)

- ChangeLog extended operations : we need to add some Extended Operation
to allow users to drive the Change Log system (like reverting to a
specific revision, etc)

- Authz Control : this is important if we want to allow the replication
system to deal with users right when replicating, or for the DSML gateway

- Password Policy : it's a cool thing to have

3) Not urgent
- Encrypted user Password : the code is almost ready, but I'm not sure
it's urgent

- CommandLine tools : well, who uses them ?

- SP, Triggers : They are already working, if we want to improve the
code (for instance, allowing Groovy to be used), I think it should be
done for 2.5

- Group and Role cache : not really urgent. When we will work on
TripleSec, then it will be time !

- Attribute tags : we would like to have this, but it's a pretty big
change in the server.

- AD authentication : same thing, we would like to have it, but it does
not worth postponing 2.0 for ever

- Schema entities : Important, but in LDAP, currently, nobody uses it ...

- Kerberos : I think that we can spawn a new project for kerberos, as
soon as ADS 2.0 is out. Kerberos can be a standalone server, based on
ADS, at some point.

- DHCP, DNS : Does it need to be an ADS project? I was thinking about
moving them to MINA... As we already have a FTP server, plus a SSH
server in MINA, it seems to make sense.

That's pretty much it. Let's start the discusiion !

Thanks !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com