directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Aleksander Adamowski" <aleksander.adamow...@olo.org.pl>
Subject Re: [LDAP] Mimic RDBMS auto-increment feature in LDAP
Date Tue, 13 Jan 2009 17:41:37 GMT
On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 5:10 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa@marcelot.net> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have a tricky question which is not really related specifically to
> ApacheDS but more LDAP specific.
>
> I'm working on porting to LDAP a kind of RBAC API for handling Users, Rights
> and Applications which is based on a relational database.
>
> Most of these objects are based on an integer primary key (and an
> auto-increment property placed on the associated table) that I need to keep
> when porting the API.
> The problem is LDAP servers does not know about "auto-increment" IDs.
>
> Do you have any recommended design pattern for solving such a problem?

In a replicated multi-master environment this is non trivial matter if
you want to retain consistency, avoid duplicate numbers being assigned
and want to have high performance.
I think that Red Hat has solved this quite elegantly in Fedora
Directory Server with their DNS (Distributed Numeric Assignment)
plugin:

http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/DNA_Plugin
http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/DNA_Plugin_Proposal

In general, servers that take part in replication agreements, get
numeric range assignments that they can use exclusively and renew them
when they begin to run out of numbers in those ranges.

It would be nice to see similar functionality implemented in Apache
Directory Server in the future.

--
Best Regards,
  Aleksander Adamowski