I don't know exactly what context you're using to create this new attributeType definition.  I don't think I would go about this in the way you have done.  There are easier ways to do it.

Regardless in ADS you can just delete the AT definition under the ou=schema,cn=attributeTypes branch of the DIT then start over.  Or you can do a modify on the m-equality attribute of the entry corresponding to your AT definition that you want changed.