Good news indeed.  Looking forward to it.

On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 4:06 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, fellow developers !

There is a starting project at The Asf : using ADS to manage ASF user's. This is a good news, obviously, and it fits into the 'eat your own dog food' category. Right now, the server has been installed on a Solaris zone, for experiment purpose, and we have injected something like 2000 committers into this instance.

The next step will be to use this ADS instance to manage access to people.apache.org, svn, JIRA and some other tools. We won't switch all the committers, as we may experiment some difficulties, so we decided to ask for volunteers. Obvioulsy, we are volunteers ... So all the Directory committers will be some of the first users of our great server :)

There are some areas where we will be challenged in the next two months : we have to check that the server works well when the replication is setup (we may have some bugs, and we will have to fix them fast). Another aspect we have to improve the server is the disaster recovery system : we should be able to restore the server even if the machine crashed badly. This is something we already discussed in the past two months, but it's now mandatory to have it working.

At the end, I'm confident that it will be a success. It's just a matter to be around if some problems occur.

Oh, btw, merry christmas to all of you !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org