directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: which EQUALITY value can I define for string value?
Date Sun, 28 Dec 2008 15:57:45 GMT
hayart,

Emmanuel is right.  You might want to get familiar with the different kinds
of syntaxes.  Usually there are one or more matching rules for each syntax
to handle the return of the appropriate search results. You probably don't
want to use the integer syntax in the first place if you use this alpha
numeric value.  You'll get syntax errors from the server.

I highly recommend setting up a base ADS server and using the excellent
studio tool available here to connect to the server and view the schema
associated with the connection.  The schema browser in Studio is excellent
and will list all the different schema elements available to you as well as
cross referencing them which is nice when you need to drill into which
syntax is for example associated with a matching rule.

Most of the different matching rules are self explanatory but if you don't
understand some just google for it to find relevant RFCs.  This is what I
do.

Alex